One of the principal fields in which the
Institute has been actively engaged over the past thirty years
is Statistical Quality Control and Operations Research (SQC &
OR). The Government of India set up the first Statistical
Quality Control (SQC) Unit in July 1953 at Bombay under the
technical guidance of the Indian Statistical Institute as a
result of the pioneering efforts of the founder of the
Institute, professor P C Mahalanobis. The unit was established
with a principal object of fostering the growth and
development of the use of SQC and allied techniques like OR in
industrial and other establishment in the country, and to
undertake education, training and research in SQC in order to
improve the quality of goods and services, as well as,
increase productivity and reduce costs in industry.
SQC & OR Unit Mumbai is located at Old
Central Government Offices Buildings, Room No 320, 3rd Floor,
101 M K Road, Mumbai 400 020. This is one of the prime
locations in Mumbai. The unit is easily accessible from both
the corporate clients and government offices.
The unit activities can be described in the
SQC & OR Unit, ISI, Mumbai commenced its
operations from 1965. It has served a wide variety of
organizations, both Manufacturing and Service, across the
country through training and consultancy in the fields of
Statistics and Operations Research.
Nature of Consultancy
- Providing guidance for developing and implementing
- Conducting specific Six Sigma project studies at the
instance of Management
- Providing guidance to maintain Quality Systems
Reliance Industries Ltd. , Patalganga
- Six Sigma implementation at business centres
Technova Imagging Systems Ltd. Taloja
- Development and Maintenance of Quality Systems
- Application of SQC concepts in various business
Coates of India Ltd.
- Implementation of Statistical Process Control
techniques at various business centres
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
- Guidance and training training in carrying Design of
Larsen & Toubro Ltd.
- Six Sigma Implementation at all the business Units
at Electrical & Electronics Business Group
- SPC training at all manufacturing line.
- Guidance on SPC projects taken up by the participant
to implement SPC system in